Gallery returns France's 'stolen' masterpiece
Thursday 10 November 2011
France has offered to reach an amicable settlement with a British art dealer over a 17th-century masterpiece which was been missing, believed stolen, for two centuries.
Earlier this week, the French culture ministry placed an export ban on the Nicolas Tournier painting after it was exhibited at a Paris art fair by a leading London gallery. The ministry said that the canvas, valued at €657,000 (£560,000), had been stolen from a museum in Toulouse in 1818 and remained the "inalienable" property of the French state.
Mark Weiss, of the Weiss Gallery in Jermyn Street, London, has now received a letter from the culture ministry offering to negotiate "compensation" if the painting remains in France. Mr Weiss said yesterday that he was "satisfied" with the "correct" tone of the letter.
"We have allowed the French government to take possession of the painting," he told The Independent. "They now accept that we have always acted in good faith and with complete transparency."
The painting, Le Portement de Croix (the carrying of the cross) turned up in Florence in 2009 after being missing for almost two centuries. Paris says the painting was stolen in 1818.
Mr Weiss says there is no proof of theft. In any case, he says he bought the canvas last year in good faith for €400,000 from a French dealer when its authenticity was still questioned by the French state. He said he was happy to enter talks on "compensation" so the painting could return to the museum in Toulouse.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Game of Thrones, season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Martin Scorsese 'in shock' after death on set of new film Silence
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures