Riots spark £5m Tate arts project for the young
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Thursday 13 December 2012
Tate is to spearhead a £5m national arts programme developed in response to last year’s riots, to help young people develop their lives “in a more meaningful way”.
Circuit: A National Youth Network for the Visual Arts aims to reach 80,000 people aged between 15 and 25 with workshops involving established artists, projects and festivals.
The four-year drive has been funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation, a grant-making organisation focusing on arts, will be launched in April with a three-day arts festival at Tate Modern.
Sir Nicholas Serota, director of the Tate, said: “The catalyst for it was the events of the summer of 2011, when riots in London, Nottingham and elsewhere across the country made us very conscious that institutions, such as the ones represented on the programme, offer young people opportunities that they both need in their lives and can help them develop those lives in a more meaningful way.”
Turner Prize winner Jeremy Deller and Bob and Roberta Smith have lent support to the scheme, whose six partners include firstsite in Colchester, the Nottingham Contemporary and Whitworth Art Gallery in Manchester.
Sir Nicholas said: “It’s a programme that recognises we still have a very long way to go in terms of the provision of arts in this country particularly to certain kinds of communities” but hoped it would “spark a long-term transformation in the way young people engage with art”.
The funding marks £200m in grants from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation since it was set up 25 years ago, which include the recent donation to the Roundhouse Studios in Camden.
Sir Nicholas said: “What we are seeing is not an isolated initiative. It’s not borne simply of a wish to take advantage of money available from this remarkable foundation. It is part of a long term integrated programme.”
The Tate has led the charge in making representations to education secretary Michael Gove to include the arts as a core subject in the proposed overhaul of GCSEs.
Sir Nicholas reiterated yesterday: “Arts, design, drama, music should be included within the national curriculum at Key Stage 4.”
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'