BOOKS / Recommended
Saturday 06 August 1994
Evangelista's Fan by Rose Tremain, Sinclair-Stevenson, pounds 14.99. Wide-ranging and delicate collection of new stories. Review by Michele Roberts, 16 July
The Diaries of Sylvia Townsend Warner, Ed. Claire Harman, Chatto pounds 25. Riveting journal of a great and under-rated writer. Review by D J Taylor, 9 July.
The Politics of Dispossession by Edward Said, Chatto pounds 18. Admirable and topical set of essays on the victims of victims. Review by Robert Fisk, 16 July.
Made in America by Bill Bryson, Secker, pounds 15. Hilarious odyssey through America's language jungle. Review by Pete Davies, 8 July.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts