BOOKS / Recommended
Saturday 06 August 1994
Evangelista's Fan by Rose Tremain, Sinclair-Stevenson, pounds 14.99. Wide-ranging and delicate collection of new stories. Review by Michele Roberts, 16 July
The Diaries of Sylvia Townsend Warner, Ed. Claire Harman, Chatto pounds 25. Riveting journal of a great and under-rated writer. Review by D J Taylor, 9 July.
The Politics of Dispossession by Edward Said, Chatto pounds 18. Admirable and topical set of essays on the victims of victims. Review by Robert Fisk, 16 July.
Made in America by Bill Bryson, Secker, pounds 15. Hilarious odyssey through America's language jungle. Review by Pete Davies, 8 July.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch 'first sexy Holmes', says Mark Gatiss
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
Jared Leto: Best Supporting Actor Oscar sparks backlash from transgender community
In Kony's shadow: Shocking photographs reveal brutality of Lord's Resistance Army
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson