Saturday 06 May 1995
How exactly did Hitler die? This book offers a detailed account of his final hours and solves the mystery of his missing bones. On a visit to a Kremlin archive, the Russian journalist Ada Petrova discovered by chance that the Fhrer's remains had been secretly preserved. Together with personal memorabilia from the bunker, including Hitler's tattered uniform and over 40 of his watercolours, she found his skull and six files containing previously unpublished records made by the Soviets at the time. Peter Watson's narrative is both readable and plausible, but from a literary viewpoint no book on the subject will ever match Hugh Trevor-Roper's 1947 classic, The Last Days of Hitler.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture