20 best Puffin children's books
Sunday 09 May 2010
To celebrate 70 years of Puffin books the publisher has released a list of its 70 favourite children’s titles.
From early readers right through to teenage fiction, the round-up of golden classics is bound to evoke a teensy bit of nostalgia in us all.
While the label doesn’t include kids lit heavy weights like Enid Blyton’s Famous Five, JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series, or Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight books, it does boast a coterie of Roald Dahls, Watership Down, Charlotte’s Web and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
We took a look at Puffin’s list and picked our 20 favourites.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure' for paralysis
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board and takes four gongs
The Apprentice 2014, episode 3, review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 gives Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'