One Minute With: Lisa O'Donnell, Novelist
'I admire Angelina Jolie. She's been brave and honest about her body'
Friday 14 June 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I am in Covent Garden in a flat that I have rented and The Amityville Horror – which I was watching last night – has just popped up on my computer screen.
What are you currently reading?
The Wisdom of Psycho-paths by Kevin Dutton. It's about the pathology of psychopaths. The tagline is “What saints, spies and serial killers can teach us about success”.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him
Roddy Doyle because I love writing that is in the first person, and I love his dialogue. He is sharp, witty and has great insight into people's dynamics.
Describe the room where you usually write
Usually in the dining room where I can keep an eye on both of my children.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
The madwoman in Jane Eyre, locked up in an attic. That's where I should be [writing].
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Like everyone else in the world right now, I admire Angelina Jolie. She's been brave and honest about her body.
Lisa O'Donnell's novel, 'The Death of Bees', won the Commonwealth Writers Prize 2013. Her latest novel, 'Closed Doors', is published by Random House
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories