One Minute With: Michael Bond, children's author
Saturday 16 June 2012
Where are you now and what can you see?
I am in a corner of my study. Facing me are two computer screens. Above the main one are some small shelves for reference books.
What are you currently reading?
The Disenchanted by Budd Schulberg. It's a tour de force, but a bit depressing if you happen to be an author, about a writer who has gone to seed.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire him/her?
George Simenon, for his sheer professionalism. He never uses three words when one will do.
Describe the room where you usually write
Long and narrow with a window at either end. One side is lined with books. The other has a door and a built-in area where I work.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
The Scarlet Pimpernel when someone unexpected rings the door bell. If it's my turn to open the door, The Man in the Iron Mask.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Paul Bocuse... owner of the three-star restaurant in Lyon, once caught sight of my chicken sitting stationary on a spit and gave it a nudge. It saved the day and it was the most delicious chicken ever.
'Paddington Races Ahead' and 'Paddington's Guide to London' by Michael Bond are published by HarperCollins Children's Books
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >