One minute with: Wendy Law-Yone, novelist/autobiographer
Friday 12 July 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
At a book festival on the grounds of a magnificent English country estate. People actually queuing in the sunshine to listen to me speak. Not possible.
What are you currently reading?
The collected Paris Review interviews, to remind me of other curiosities of the writing life. Also, some pulp fiction in Burmese, the long-neglected language of my childhood.
Choose a favourite author, and say why you admire her/him
The pseudonymous Italian novelist Elena Ferrante – for her vivisection of the female psyche, and especially for her dedication to anonymity.
Describe the room where you usually write
A storage space, really, with cardboard boxes for a filing system; a bed for spreading out papers on, not for sleeping; a desk by a window, facing a blank wall.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
Mrs Rochester [Jane Eyre].
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
My late brother-in-law Geoffrey, whose courage and charm neither Down’s syndrome nor dementia could obscure.
Wendy Law-Yone’s ‘Golden Parasol: a daughter’s memoir
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict