Sue Townsend dead: Adrian Mole's best quotes
The socially awkward teenager was Townsend's best-loved creation
Sue Townsend will best be remembered for her much-loved Adrian Mole diaries.
Her socially awkward and self-proclaimed 'intellectual' teenage creation has spawned one of the most successful book series of our time.
Townsend instilled wit and wisdom into her 13 ¾ year old protagonist, whose commentary ranged from class consciousness, the British political system, and -not forgetting - his undying love for neighbour Pandora Braithwaite.
His wit and wisdom have planted him fondly in the British imagination where he will doubtless live for decades more.
Townsend said her favourite Adrian Mole quote was the last line of the first diary, written after Mole had tried glue sniffing and accidentally stuck a model aeroplane to his nose: “I rang Pandora, she is coming round after her viola lesson. Love is the only thing that keeps me sane…”
Here we round-up some of the best lines from Your Humble and Obedient Servant, A Mole.
Adrian Mole's best quotes
1. “My skin is dead good. I think it must be a combination of being in love and Lucozade.”
2. “I have realised I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac.”
3. “I have a problem. I am an intellectual, but at the same time I am not very clever."
4. “I asked Pandora how long she would love me. She said, ‘As long as Britain has Gibraltar.’”
5. “Guilt is a destructive emotion and doesn’t fit in with my Life Plan.”
6. “I was racked with sexuality but it wore off when I helped my father put manure on our rose bed.”
7. “Mrs Thatcher has got eyes like a psychotic killer, but a voice like a gentle person. It is a bit confusing.”
8. “My mother is in the hospital grounds smoking a cigarette. She is looking old and haggard. All the debauchery is catching up with her.”
9. “Perhaps when I am famous and my diary is discovered people will understand the torment of being a 13 3/4 year old undiscovered intellectual.”
10. “The tap drips and keeps me awake/ In the morning there will be a lake” – one of the first poems written by Adrian Albert Mole, aged 13 ¾.
11. “Pandora smiled at me in school dinner today, but I was choking on a piece of gristle so I couldn't smile back. Just my luck!”
12. “Evelyn Waugh must be dead proud of his daughter, Auberon.”
13. “There's only one thing more boring than listening to other people's dreams, and that's listening to their problems.”
14. “My father was reading Playboy under cover of the candlelight and I was reading Hard Times by my key-ring torch.”
15. “After hearing the disgusting noises from downstairs last night, I have also vowed never to drink alcohol.”
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Martin Scorsese 'in shock and sorrow' after death on set of new film Silence
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures