Books: Who's on your shovel list?
The idea of a "bucket list" – the stuff you want to do before you kick the bucket – gained ground after the 2007 film of the same name. Two terminally ill men had a comic/tragic time fulfilling the dreams they'd never got round to.
Tears, laughs, Morgan Freeman – you get the idea. But now there's a new list in town that's probably less likely to be the subject of a schmaltzy Hollywood flick. It's the shovel list, as imagined by Marian Keyes in her new novel The Mystery of Mercy Close, out today.
In the words of her heroine Helen, it works like this: "It's a list of all the people and things I hate so much I want to hit them in the face with a shovel." Much more therapeutic than a bucket list, right?
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Man tweets about bad service, gets kicked off plane, told to delete tweet before re-boarding
- 2 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Exclusive: David Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor 'wheel on people who have mental health problems' says comedian Jo Brand
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Orange Is The New Black season 3: Pornstache isn't coming back
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains