Nielsen BookScan has released its list of the US's best-selling audio books of the year. Topping the list is Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, which is also the year's best-selling adult fiction title. In second is Rhonda Byrne's The Secret, followed by The Shack by William P. Young.
The Secret, released in book and audio form in November 2006, is a self-help book arguing that positive thoughts can have an effect on one's health, wealth, and happiness.
The Shack, a novel by theologian William P. Young, was released in book form in 2007 and as an audio book in 2008.
Top-selling audio books of 2009 (with audio release date):
1. The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (2009)
2. The Secret - Rhonda Byrne (2006)
3. The Shack - William P. Young (2008)
4. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (2005)
5. Liberty And Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto - Mark R. Levin (2009)
6. The Associate - John Grisham (2009)
7. The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (2009)
8. Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against An Out-Of-Control Government, Inspired By Thomas Paine - Glenn Beck (2009)
9. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer (2006)
10. Excuses Begone!: How To Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits -
Wayne W. Dyer (2009)
The Nielsen Company's list is based on sales from December 28, 2008 to November 29, 2009.