Tom Wolfe brings on the colonic irritation in new novel
The first UK reviews of Tom Wolfe's novel Back to Blood have started appearing, and a recurring theme is Wolfe's frenzied approach to punctuation.
The quickest of flicks through shows what has caught the critics' attention, with a proliferation of capitals throughout the novel's 700 pages. On one page it is the word "SMACK" on another, the phrase "MEAT BEAT".
Then there are the colons. Wolfe is so free with them that you wonder if he could do with a colon-ic cleanse. "::::::How could they call me that?!::::::" reads one line.
And don't get us started on the ellipses... :::::Actually, do, because they are EVERYWHERE!::::::
Elsewhere, the book reads like a paean to onomatopoetic prose (as he might excitably write). "Wee wee weeaahhhhHHH hock hock hock" is one bit of dialogue.
The word "pling" written in subscript competes with its colleague/rival "pling" in superscript.
The 81-year-old Wolfe has been known to set trends in both non-fiction and fiction. And this could help introduce the mainstream to his punctuation quirks.
::::::Be watchful, soon ALL writers might decide suddenly BANG! en masse...
Arts & Ents blogs
St Patrick’s Day 2014: The worst Irish accents in film history
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Lord of the Flies is still a blueprint for savagery
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers