Saturday 22 August 1992
Wagner: Race and Revolution by Paul Lawrence Rose, Faber pounds 20. A scathing and disquieting picture of the anti-Semitic strain in the composer's life and work. Review by Tim Jackson, 25 July.
Praying for Sheetrock by Melissa Fay Greene, Secker & Warburg pounds 9.99. A strong and tender account of the hard life on the tide-washed coast of Georgia in the American South. Review by Godfrey Hodgson, 1 August.
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago, tr. Giovanni Pontiero, Harvill pounds 7.99. An enthralling Portuguese drama blending high seriousness with an absurd sense of humour. Review by Robert Winder, 7 August.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account