Aid and Other Dirty Business, By Giles Bolton
Something is wrong with a world in which three hundred million Africans live on less than €1 a day, while every cow in the EU receives a daily subsidy of €2.50. Giles Bolton, a diplomat and aid worker, has written a compelling and accessible primer about the West's dealings and intentions towards Africa which lucidly explains what, and blows the whistle alerting us to bad practices and mismanagement within the multi-million-dollar aid business.
It contains interesting historical background, for example, on the practical problems caused by the straight-edged internal borders which were devised for Africa by its colonial rulers. It introduces us to individual Africans going about their daily lives, and shows how they're impacted on by the decisions we make in ours. It offers sensible advice to Western governments, aid agencies and individuals on how things can be improved. And, perhaps cleverest of all, it frames its arguments so that our doing so is not just a moral imperative but a matter of self-interest too.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
SPOILERS: Do not read this if you have not seen series 5, episode 7 of ‘Made in Chelsea’ If you had ...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.