Fordlandia, by Greg Grandin
Sunday 05 December 2010
A rubber plantation established in the Brazilian rainforest in 1927, ostensibly to provide raw materials for the Ford Motor Company's automobiles, Fordlandia was also a vast, quixotic experiment in social engineering: a model city intended to bring order and civilisation to the Amazon through "paternalistic manipulation".
Perhaps inevitably, the enterprise was a failure. The rubber trees died and Henry Ford's Puritan values failed to take root. The town was abandoned in 1945, the jungle reclaiming the tended vegetable gardens and shingled houses.
It is a story rich with dramatic potential, and the historian Greg Grandin tells it with the skill and verve of a great novelist. Ford emerges as the flawed protagonist: like Conrad's Lord Jim, the industrialist imagined himself as the benevolent philosopher-king of a tropical realm, convinced that he "could make the world conform to his will", only to find events spiralling beyond his control.
This is history of the most compelling and eminently readable kind.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >