Yale Univesity Press £14.99
Fruitlands: The Alcott Family and Their Search for Utopia, By Richard Francis
Flawed dream of paradise that gave life to 'Little Women'
Sunday 27 November 2011
And the moral of the story is – never marry a zealot. Inspired by English Transcendentalism and arguments with Emerson, Bronson Alcott founded a new community in Concord, Massachusetts.
Where he also installed his family (one of his daughters, Louisa May, would grow up to write Little Women and carry on many of his religious principles into that novel). But my, it was an impossibly hard life, where most of the manual labour fell to the women, and that was all on a diet of fruit, water and bread. Alcott sacrificed his family to his own romantic hankerings for a pre-lapsarian world and the pain showed. Oddly amusing and terrifying by turns.
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police