Intuition, By Allegra Goodman Atlantic £12.99
Sunday 14 June 2009
The riches and immortality awaiting whoever discovers the cure for cancer are taken up by Allegra Goodman in this novel, which sold out across the Atlantic.
Cliff is a brilliant all-American post-doc student working in a cancer-research lab run by two ambitious scientists. He's about to be sacked from the lab because of his disappointing results, however, when, suddenly, a seemingly miraculous breakthrough in his research occurs. His one-time girlfriend and lab partner, Robin, gets suspicious and sets out to investigate.
Goodman's research is spotless, and she doesn't let it hold up the narrative, which relies on us finding out whether Cliff has been faking it. There is something flat, though, about her writing, which ranges over the personal lives and ambitions of the various characters without ever really allowing us to invest enough in any of them.
Her own sympathies veer between the characters, probably in an attempt to make them rounded, but it means that the reader is never sure quite who to root for, and as a result, quite who to care about.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >