IoS paerback review: School Wars, By Melissa Benn
Melissa Benn argues that our present education system is in danger of total fragmentation, with the rise of Academies, free schools and faith schools.
Her book is a plea, both reasoned and impassioned, for a new, genuinely comprehensive, non-selective schooling system for the 21st-century, learned from educational models in such countries as Finland and Canada. She traces the history of education in Britain, paying tribute to pioneers such as A S Neill and Alex Bloom, and their radical, egalitarian ideas and ideals. According to the theorist Richard Pring, education should be shaped around three questions: "What makes us human? How did we become so? and How might we become more so?" This is the kind of progressive, optimistic spirit Benn would like to see embodied in our school system. Sounds good to me.
Arts & Ents blogs
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.