Land of My Neighbours, By Barry Pilton
I love Wales and I love comic novels, so I expected to enjoy this comic novel set in Wales. It disappointed, I'm sorry to say.
The comic premise isn't bad: Gareth, a love-crazed sheep farmer, is jailed for chiselling off the genitals of a nude statue; unable to farm his land, he has to put it up for auction, but who will buy it: Stefan, the nouveau-riche manor owner who wants to buy a vista appropriate to his wealth; Rhys, who wants to set up adventurous bonding weekends for middle managers; or Gwyn, the conservationist who wants to establish a nature reserve?
The novel's climax is a public auction at which the rivalry is fought out. But Barry Pilton's style is both arch and archaic, full of circumlocutions and stodgy words such as "albeit", with a fondness for random bursts of alliteration ("Pique had pushed him to promote these very public private parts.") If all the self-consciously amusing description and comment were taken out, you might have a decent comic novella.
Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, but others have praised it, so don't let me put you off.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.