Birkbeck £7.99 (275pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
Mechanics' Institute Review
Friday 02 October 2009
Get past the needlessly belligerent introduction and you find that this sixth anthology of short fiction from the Birkbeck College creative-writing school makes the case for the protean story better than its self-righteous advocates do.
Guest contributors – Chimamanda Adichie, Russell Celyn Jones, Richard Milward – do fine work, with Peter Ho Davies even slipping in some sly allusions to short-story teaching and its to-be-broken rules.
Among the newcomers an impressive span of times, venues and people takes us from Thea Bennett's Viking shores to Mary Irene Masaba's African village and Margi Williams's neo-Wild West. And an intriguing cluster of tales – from David Quéva, Kavita Jindal, Jon Elsom – touch via fantasy or even SF on fears about the fate of children.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt gives intriguing performance as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage