Penguin Modern Classics £9.99
Paperback review: Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account, By Mikios Nyiszli
Sunday 27 January 2013
Miklos Nyiszli was a Hungarian Jewish doctor whose life was spared by the Nazis because he had trained at one time in Germany.
Ironically, it was Dr Josef Mengele who spared him, picking him out of a concentration camp line-up to have him live alongside the "Sonnerkommando" units of Jewish prisoners who had to strip the bodies of those who had died in the gas chambers, and to assist at the autopsies of those unfortunate souls on whom Mengele had decided to experiment. It's hard to imagine a more horrific read – as Nyiszli realises that so many of the children's bodies he must dissect are the results of deliberate acts of murder, whose hearts have stopped by an injection of chloroform – or a more compromising one, as he presents an often tired Mengele who even, on one occasion, "betrays a note of silent resignation".
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >