HarperPerennial £10.99 (834pp
Paperback: The Mitfords Ed. Charlotte Mosley
Friday 06 June 2008
With all the hilarity and snobbery of Britain's most "U" family, these "Letters Between Six Sisters" will delight Mitford fans and enrage their critics. The index goes from Hitler ("Poor Sweetheart Führer") to Jerry Hall ("a sort of beautiful, goat-like, tall creature"), and that's just the "H"s. All the glamour and trauma of a mostly forgotten age – though as Diana admitted, "The Mitfords would madden me if I didn't chance to be one."
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >