FOURTH ESTATE £8.99 (210PP)
Paperbacks: Four Seasons In Rome, by Anthony Doerr
Friday 18 July 2008
From lightning-lashed November to sun-fried July, Doerr makes a succulent meal of his year as a wide-eyed mid-Western writer on a fellowship in Rome.
Two qualities lift this book above the herd of American-abroad travelogues. First, his writing is fleet and sharp, fixing monuments, neighbours, dishes and Popes (John Paul II dies during his stay) with a radiant image, not a purple passage. Second, it's a book about the foreign country of fatherhood. Twin baby sons ease his path through Roman life and mock his "hopelessly hilarious" ambitions. While the "city of always" bewitches him, parenthood demands "a kind of love that has no conclusions".
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women