OLD STREET £7.99 (244PP)
Paperbacks: The Past is a Foreign Country, by Gianrico Carofiglio
Friday 11 July 2008
This former anti-Mafia prosecutor brings drive and depth to a pacy psychological thriller. In Bari (where the author fought the mob), student drifter Giorgio falls in with a charismatic card-sharp.
Cue a sinister descent from scams at the baize into deeper circles of hell, as a fragile youngster drops into the dark. If Carofiglio's prosecutions matched his prose, then local capi were well and truly trumped.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’