Pick of the picture books: Feathered Dinosaurs: The Origin of Birds, By John Long
Friday 30 January 2009
They look as if some ageing-hippie illustrator of post-Tolkien fantasy novels had suffered an LSD flashback after watching Hitchcock's The Birds and run utterly amok. Feathered raptors, grotesque predatory relations of the nice little birdies that warble in gardens, swoop and snarl and tear each to bits.
Among these aerial nightmares of teeth, talon and tail, the "little smart ones" sound cute only in comparison with the "monster claws". RSPB members: meet the ancestors. Nearly 150 years ago, Darwin's "bulldog", T H Huxley, speculated that today's birds descended from winged dinosaurs.
The modern fossil record, much enhanced by recent discoveries in that homeland of dragons, China, has filled in the evolutionary gaps. Now we can envisage the frankly terrifying carnivores – the "Theropods" – that nest deep in the avian family tree.
In Feathered Dinosaurs: the origin of birds (Oxford, £20), John Long provides the illuminating words and, in 80 spectacular paintings, artist Peter Schouten depicts the beasts in flight and at rest.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture