Real Racers: Photography from the Klemantaski Collection, By Stuart Codlin
Sunday 03 April 2011
Louis Klemantaski was a French photographer devoted to documenting motor racing while it burgeoned during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, and the archive that bears his name now holds some 500,000 images of the sport.
Real Racers matches some of the most evocative to the recollections of drivers including Stirling Moss, Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart. It is nostalgic for a golden era of gentlemen racers and British engineering, and the very shape of the cars seems to speak of optimism and progress. But perhaps Frank Williams sums up the appeal most succinctly: "Racing cars went fast and made a lovely noise."
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 5 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2: The Green Legend will be Netflix's first original movie
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >