Shattered: Modern Motherhood and the Illusion of Equality, By Rebecca Asher
Why women are the prey inthe parent trap
Sunday 06 May 2012
Like most women, I always assumed I would have children. That is, until my friends started having them and the sheer amount of physical labour and need involved put me off, possibly forever.
And each of them had supportive, hands-on fathers to help out. Yet still, it was my female friends who wouldn't get to finish a meal, who wouldn't sit down until everything was done. Asher's book consolidates much of that, and more, to really let rip about women's dissatisfaction with the maternal role, the unnecessary isolation and confusion that often results, and how much they want men to step up. She makes eloquent, timely and reasonable demands for the kind of parenting where men and women share equal labour and care.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures