Blue Door £12.99 (261pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Sherry Cracker Gets Normal, By DJ Connell
Friday 26 August 2011
Sherry Cracker, the far from normal heroine of Connell's second novel, is a loner, obsessive note-taker and lover of tartan trousers. She works for Mr Chin, who runs a business buying used gold from dentists.
One Friday afternoon, he gives her £100 and a weekend in which to "crack the normality nut". But establishing what is normal proves far from easy especially when in the company of new friends Jocelyn de Foiegras (a "gentleman alcoholic") and Little Bastard (a ten-year-old runaway).
A writer intrigued by life on the outside, Connell writes about unusual friendships and high risk survival strategies. Although her characters have charm, it takes stamina to keep up with their rapid-fire witticisms and madcap adventures.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >