The Founding Gardeners, By Andrea Wulf
The outdoors pursuit of happiness
Sunday 01 April 2012
In this unusual book, Andrea Wulf argues that the founding fathers' ambitions for America were reflected in their gardens.
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison lovingly developed their estates, and Wulf argues that their respectful treatment of nature sowed the seeds for the environmental movement. She skirts some important issues, not least of them the uncomfortable question of who actually did their planting and weed-pulling. (I'll give you a clue: they weren't paid, and weren't allowed to leave.) But her account is persuasive, and enlivened with vivid descriptions of US countryside from "soaring white pines" to "swathes of quamash" that "shimmer like lakes" across the plains.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >