The House at Midnight, By Lucie Whitehouse
Sunday 25 January 2009
The story is narrated by Jo, who has been close friends with Lucas, the new owner of Stoneborough Manor, all through university. Much to the chagrin of his other friend, the dangerously charming Danny, Jo and Lucas fall in love, just when Lucas had decided to give up his job in London and share the stately home with Danny in order to embark on a series of creative projects together.
The house seems to have a malevolent will, dedicated as much as Danny appears to be to splitting lovers up and causing emotional damage. But it's almost as though Lucie Whitehouse can't decide whether it's Danny who is evil, or the house, or the past, and it's as a result of this indecision that where there should be narrative tension or psychological insight, we tend to find nothing of the kind.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world