Portobello £7.99 (323pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
The Old Joke, By Reina James
Friday 19 March 2010
Three years ago, Reina (daughter of Sid) James aged 60, said of her first novel, a bleak wartime period piece, This Time of Dying: "I'm absolutely fascinated with the way we care for our dead."
This second work is told through the mind of a retired actress, Mim, whose career is at its ebb, although her husband is intent on staging her comeback. It examines not dissimilar themes - that of ageing and inching towards death - but in a humorous register.
Conversationally told, it is a story of domestic dramas, stylistically more spoken than written, though it might suffer from a lack of emotional intensity as a result.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
The secret joke hidden in Silence of the Lambs' most famous line
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures