Headline Review £7.99
The Secret Life of William Shakespeare, By Jude Morgan
Saturday 10 November 2012
Jude Morgan has already won his literary spurs with compelling fictional biographies of the Brontes and Bryon.
His latest work is yet more ambitious - a bold recreation of the offstage life of Shakespeare. Central to Morgan's tale is the playwright's early romance with Anne Hathaway.
Several years her husband's senior, Anne accommodates Will's thespian desires, and waves him off to London to pursue his craft. In a smart move, Morgan rarely quotes from The Bard.
Instead he flatters our intelligence by introducing encounters and experiences that will later be transformed into art.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election