Headline Review £7.99
The Secret Life of William Shakespeare, By Jude Morgan
Saturday 10 November 2012
Jude Morgan has already won his literary spurs with compelling fictional biographies of the Brontes and Bryon.
His latest work is yet more ambitious - a bold recreation of the offstage life of Shakespeare. Central to Morgan's tale is the playwright's early romance with Anne Hathaway.
Several years her husband's senior, Anne accommodates Will's thespian desires, and waves him off to London to pursue his craft. In a smart move, Morgan rarely quotes from The Bard.
Instead he flatters our intelligence by introducing encounters and experiences that will later be transformed into art.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >