Basic Books £9.99
The Suicide of Reason: Radical Islam's threat to the West, By Lee Harris
Sunday 31 August 2008
In addressing the failure to date of the project to spread Western liberal values to the Middle East, Lee Harris doesn't argue as others have that the project is ill-conceived; merely that it is naive on two counts: it overestimates the potency and appeal of liberalism, and underestimates the effectiveness of Islamic fanaticism as an alternative cultural paradigm.
The problem is that we in the West have come to think that man's natural proclivities, if allowed, will tend towards reason, rationalism and enlightened self-interest, when in fact tribalism and the rule of the jungle might as easily be thought of as our "natural" state. Our delusion leaves us weakened in comparison to radical Islam, and no less than the future of Western civilisation as we know it is at risk.
Harris constructs his a priori arguments with a cold but subtle logic, and they deserve to be both heard and heeded. But he sidesteps so many real world complexities that thankfully you needn't be as scared as he intends you to be.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans