Orion, £7.99, 363pp from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, By Alan Bradley
Friday 21 May 2010
Eleven-year old Flavia de Luce, the heroine of this appealing detective debut (the first in a series), brings a breath of fresh air to the world of period-piece sleuthing.
Brainy, funny and pigtailed, Flavia spends her days concocting poisons to try out on her spiteful elder sisters. Her experiments, however, are unexpectedly postponed by a much more exciting event in her life – the discovery of a corpse in the family cucumber patch.
A post-war English country house murder ensues, with stamp-collecting and ornithology. Cosily arcane and modishly fast-paced Bradley, a Canadian who prior to writing the book had never visited England, draws on his close acquaintance with the works of Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >