The Western Lit Survival Kit: How to Read the Classics Without Fear, By Sandra Newman
Debunking literature's untouchables
Sunday 06 May 2012
This is a witty, entertaining but genuinely informative trawl through the western literary canon, populated as it is mostly by Dead White Males but also full of some wonderful words.
Newman's love of literature is beyond question even as she shows a healthy disrespect for our untouchable literary gods ("Watching Hamlet try to avenge his father is uncannily like watching your teenaged son try to get a job"). She constructs a sensible narrative arc beginning with Greek epics, leading through the Renaissance, a whole chapter for Shakespeare, the "shallows" of the 17th century, through to the "isms" of the 20th, without losing pace or skipping over essentials. She is also, of course, poking fun at our own literary pretensions, spiking our smugness.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything