Granta £8.99(339pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
This is Not About Me, By Janice Galloway
Friday 22 May 2009
Here the novelist Janice Galloway turns her hand to writing a first memoir (albeit one which details just the first 12 years), which reads like a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Woman at times.
She paints vivid pictures of her childhood in 1950s Scotland - her mother who mistook her pregnancy for menopause, her father's death and her overbearing sister, Cora.
Her lyrically recalled, wincingly painful memories have the simplicity of a child's perception and the complexities of adult hindsight.
The memoir ends on a somewhat discordant note, with Galloway on the brink of angry adolescence, leaving the door open, and the reader hungry, for a second installment.
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police