Granta £8.99(339pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
This is Not About Me, By Janice Galloway
Friday 22 May 2009
Here the novelist Janice Galloway turns her hand to writing a first memoir (albeit one which details just the first 12 years), which reads like a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Woman at times.
She paints vivid pictures of her childhood in 1950s Scotland - her mother who mistook her pregnancy for menopause, her father's death and her overbearing sister, Cora.
Her lyrically recalled, wincingly painful memories have the simplicity of a child's perception and the complexities of adult hindsight.
The memoir ends on a somewhat discordant note, with Galloway on the brink of angry adolescence, leaving the door open, and the reader hungry, for a second installment.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish independence results live: Reunited kingdom - Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 Scottish referendum results: David Cameron set to unveil major devolution of powers to England
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'