Christmas Food & Drink: Taste of Christmas to come
Sunday 29 November 1998
l Will your turkey be a turkey? Not at Frederick's (106 Camden Passage, N1, 0171 359 2888) which will be a gobbler-free zone this Christmas: this airy, Modern British restaurant feels that nothing compares to turkey cooked in your own Aga, so instead head chef Andrew Jeffs is offering Honey- and-black-pepper-roasted Breast of Duck, and Sesame Roast Salmon with spiced cabbage. They've also dispensed with Christmas pudding, so why not opt for a trio of desserts - Burnt Lemon Cream, Vodka and Lime Parfait and Chocolate Mousse.
l The biggest bash at Bali Sugar (33a All Saints Road, W11, 0171 221 4447) this festive season will be its staff party. But don't despair if you don't happen to be employed by the sister restaurant to the Sugar Club: Claudio Aprile, head chef, has a Christmas menu with a twist - Pacific Rim meets Nuevo Latino. Treats include Venison and Asian Pear Salad, Seared Salmon marinated in Miso, Black Mushrooms and Lemongrass Broth and Baked Figs with Pepper ice-cream.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world