Terry Gilliam to make ENO comeback as opera bosses express cuts fears
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Wednesday 01 May 2013
The chiefs of the English National Opera believe that next month’s spending review will be “crucial” in shaping the future of the arts in Britain.
The comments from artistic director John Berry and chief executive Loretta Tomasi came as they unveiled the institution’s new season, which includes the return of Terry Gilliam as a director.
Mr Berry said: “The next spending round is going to be crucial for everyone in the arts. It’s going to be a really be a big moment.”
The spending review for 2015-16 is set to be discussed in Government next month and the arts fear their already heavily-cut funding will be slashed further.
“There’s a fact that Berlin spends £400m a year on the arts, and that’s slightly more than the Arts Council has to spend on the whole of the UK,” Mr Berry added.
In January, the accounts for 2011-12 revealed ENO’s financial position was under strain with a deficit of £2.5m. Mr Berry admitted there had been “tough times over the past couple of years” but denied the institution was in crisis.
Ms Tomasi said the deficit had been reduced to £800,000 and hoped the budget would be balanced by the end of the next season.
Mr Berry said: “We may be short of money, but we are not short of artists wanting to make the ENO their creative home.”
Among the productions in the 2013-14 season is a new production of Benvenuto Cellini, directed by Terry Gilliam and Thebans, a world premiere, which has a libretto composed by Irish playwright Frank McGuiness.
Revivals include Peter Grimes, Philip Glass’s Satyagraha as well as the popular The Pearl Fishers and Anthony Minghella’s Madam Butterfly.
Among the other works will be a new piece by artist Mathew Barney and composer Jonathan Bepler called River of Fundament. Mr Berry said the season showed a “remarkably diverse and exciting range of work”.
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins questioned by police over allegations of inciting racial hatred after migrants article
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 4 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 5 US bookshop offers Go Set A Watchman refunds over false marketing as 'nice summer novel'
The Great British Bake Off, series 6, preview: The most popular show on television is back
Lenny Kravitz rocks his pants off in ultimate #penisgate wardrobe malfunction
US bookshop offers Go Set A Watchman refunds over false marketing as 'nice summer novel'
Sherlock season 4: Benedict Cumberbatch will be 'a lot less brattish' in Victorian special
Bollywood stars Salman Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Akshay Kumar enter Forbes' highest paid actors list for first time
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Jeremy Corbyn: Tony Blair could face war crimes trial over 'illegal Iraq invasion'
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'