Album: Borodin Quartet Borodin, Stravinsky, Myaskovsky (Onyx)
Friday 23 April 2010
The Borodin Quartet is now well into its seventh decade, the latest replenishment in its ranks being cellist Vladimir Balshin, whose first recording is this trio of distinctively Russian pieces by Borodin, Stravinsky and Myaskovsky.
Stravinsky's "Concertino for Four Strings" is a rare chamber piece, brief and typically testing, but the standout piece here is Borodin's "String Quartet No 1", which shifts from a lyrical, meditative opening motif to take in references to influences as disparate as Russian folksong and Beethoven's "String Quartet No 13": the scherzo, with its blend of agitated, feathery bow-work and stalking pizzicato, is especially impressive. Sadly, Myaskovsky's "String Quartet No 13" is by comparison dull and pedestrian, suggesting why this prolific apparatchik (27 symphonies!) was overshadowed by contempraries such as Prokofiev and Shostakovich.
Download this: String Quartet No 1
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming