Album: Christopher Gibbons, Motets .../Academy of Ancient Music/Richard Egarr (Harmonia Mundi)
Sunday 15 July 2012
Gibbons grew up in the service of Charles I and survived to serve as Organist of the Chapel Royal under Charles II.
Newly recorded by Richard Egarr, his Verse Anthems are a bridge between those of his famous father, Orlando Gibbons, and his famous pupil, John Blow. AAM's vocal consort is distinctly hoary but the instrumental playing – of two Fantasy-suites for violins, bass viol and organ, and a flamboyant selection of Organ Voluntaries – is divine.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government