Album: Conlon Nancarrow, Late And Unknown: Works On Rolls (Wergo)
This compilation of rarities was recorded on Nancarrow's own player-pianos, variously customised to achieve his preferred timbre, approximating a harpsichord.
Some are of largely formal or technical interest, but a few are remarkable. "For Ligeti", a revised version of his "Study No. 3", is extraordinary, a rambunctious, rippling jazz-style piece with the peculiar rhythmic gait of a Scott Joplin rag, and a sense of timing as eccentric as Thelonious Monk's; while "Unnumbered Study" premieres a work from which both Nancarrow's String Quartet No. 3 and his Three Movements For Chamber Orchestra were subsequently derived. And "Study No. 48" may be his most complex work: two pieces played on the same piano simultaneously.
Download: For Ligeti; Study No. 48; Unnumbered Study
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police