Album: Emanuele Arciuli, Round Midnight: Hommage to Thelonious Monk (Stradivarius)
Friday 27 May 2011
This engrossing series of 22 variations, études and deconstructions of Thelonious Monk's most famous piece was commissioned by pianist Emanuele Arciuli from various American composers with whom he had previously worked.
Several composers, including Milton Babbit, Filippo Del Corno and Uri Caine, position the piece in the hinterland shared by jazz and the contemporary classical avant-garde, while others take specific aspects – Monk's idiosyncratic intervals or distinctive sense of time – as the jumping-off point. Arciuli arranges the pieces into a sequence which culminates in Joel Hoffman's splendid "Cadenza and Finale".
DOWNLOAD THIS Precious Time; Cadenza and Finale; Variation; Monk in the Kitchen
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >