Album: Emmanuel Pahud, The Flute King (EMI Classics)
As enlightened monarchs go, King Frederick The Great of Prussia takes some beating. A successful warrior, he also championed early Enlightenment ideas, corresponding with Voltaire and writing political tracts of his own.
He was also adept as a flautist, employing C P E Bach as an accompanist, often on pieces he himself had written. This fascinating double-CD features Emmanuel Pahud's subtly gauged interpretations of concertos and sonatas by Frederick, his sister Anna Amalia; these and other contemporary works illuminate the passage from Baroque to Enlightenment ideals.
DOWNLOAD THIS Concerto No 3 for flute, string orchestra and bass; Sonata in B minor for flute and basso continuo; Concerto in A for flute, strings and basso continuo
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Safe House, TV review: Plenty of teasers to keep us guessing but spare us the cliches
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron 'after credits' scene leaks online days before cinema release
Louis Tomlinson is launching his own record label and has already 'signed two acts'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments