Album: Eric Whitacre, Light & Gold (Decca)
Friday 15 October 2010
Composer/choirmaster Eric Whitacre has become a million-hit YouTube sensation thanks to his Virtual Choir, in which 185 online singers' individual parts were edited together to form a single performance of Lux Aurumque, the aptly glowing, shimmering piece that, performed by the Eric Whitacre Singers, opens this album.
It's followed by Five Hebrew Love Songs, ranging in mood from the jaunty, tambourine-driven "Kala Kalla" to the wistful "Larov", and other pieces, culminating in Nox Aurumque, the nocturnal counterpart to the title-track. It's an engaging and populist, if not overly challenging, programme that presents Whitacre as perhaps the American equivalent of Karl Jenkins.
DOWNLOAD THIS Lux Aurumque; The Seal Lullaby; The Stolen Child
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >