Album: Gavin Bryars, New York (GB)
Friday 22 October 2010
Percussion has long played a key role in Gavin Bryars' work, with a quintet of tuned percussion replacing violins in his first opera Medea, from 1984.
That quintet subsequently became Les Percussion Claviers de Lyon, employed here to realise three major percussion pieces. At Portage And Main (2009) opens eerily with deep drum and marimba tones glistening with tam-tam, gong and cymbals. One Last Bar Then Joe Can Sing (1994) uses bowed vibes and crotales alongside struck tones to create a forest of sound, while New York (2004) incorporates a small chamber orchestra of winds and strings with the percussion, adding undulating textures akin to the 1970s work of Steve Reich.
DOWNLOAD THIS At Portage And Main; New York
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Laughs go global as Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran bring international comedians to the Edinburgh Fringe
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women