Album: Jonas Kaufmann, The Best of Jonas Kaufmann (Decca)
Though now acknowledged as a modern master of Wagnerian interpretation, Jonas Kaufmann first made his reputation playing a range of French and German operatic heroes for conductors such as Abbado, Pappano and Gardiner.
This compilation follows his progress from Verdi and Puccini to Strauss and Wagner, and the full range of his characterisation is well represented: in “Vesti la giubba”, he’s a distraught Pagliacci staring into the mirror of his soul; in “Che gelida manina”, the tenderest of spirited seducers. But perhaps the most impressive example of his ability to inhabit a role is in “Io l’ho perduta!”, where his beautiful fading “Ahime!” in the closing line conveys all the wretched despair of Don Carlo’s betrayal.
Download: Io l’ho perduta!; Vesti la giubba; Che gelida manina
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Jay Z fights lawsuit over use of oh in 'Run This Town'
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'