Album: Paul Hillier, Theatre of Voices, Ars Nova Copenhagen, Arvo Pärt: Creator Spiritus (Harmonia Mundi)
Yet another brilliant Arvo Pärt programme from Paul Hillier and Theatre of Voices, Creator Spiritus intersperses religious choral works from different eras of the composer's career with chamber-music pieces of comparable tone and piety, building to the climactic 26-minute "Stabat Mater".
"The Deer's Cry" is a setting of St Patrick's chant on the omniscience of Jesus, while "Most Holy Mother of God" is the one line repeated 17 times in different configurations and inflections. But it's the "Stabat Mater" which impresses most, a sublime concord of voices and strings in Pärt's characteristic tintinnabulate flotation.
DOWNLOAD THIS Stabat Mater; Morning Star; Veni creator; The Deer's Cry
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t