Album review: Jonas Kaufmann, The Verdi Album (Sony)
Sunday 22 September 2013
Murder, humiliation, self-sacrifice, revenge … it’s all in a day’s work for Verdi’s heroes and villains, given voice on this full-throttle compilation by the go-to tenor of his generation.
And while Kaufmann’s “Vendetta” may sound more businesslike than bloodthirsty, these great Verdi moments, even ripped out of context, are believably dramatic.
With big moments from Rigoletto, Luisa Miller and La Forza del Destino, the 13 tracks also include less obvious choices. Joined to great effect for a scene from Il Trovatore by Erika Grimaldi, and by Franco Vassallo and Daniele Cusari for the scene and Act II duet from Don Carlo, Kaufmann is served well by the Orchestra dell’Opera di Parma, the woodwind particularly lovely.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >