Album: Snow Palms, Intervals (Village Green)
Better known as one-third of post-rockers State River Widening, David Sheppard here collaborates with producer Chris Leary as Snow Palms, a percussion-based unit whose creations owe much to the mallet music of Steve Reich, Moondog and Indonesian gamelan orchestras.
Blending the resonant metallic tinklings of glockenspiel, xylophone and marimba with subtle shadings of strings, guitars and keyboards, the pieces on Intervals possess an elegant formality akin to Reich's "Drumming" and "Music for 18 Musicians", albeit in miniature form, with cello casting a subtle bleakness over the metallophones of "Atoll", and organ and string quartet lightening the rigid rhythmic bonds of "White Sea".
Download: Snow Light; Atoll; Delta Switching
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl Kaychanel featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >