Album: Stravinsky/Schnebel/ Cage/Nono/Stockhausen, Music Of Our Time (Wergo)
German label Wergo is marking its 50th anniversary with this five-CD box featuring one album from each decade of its existence.
There's Seventies musique concrète from Dieter Schnebel, a Nineties survey by Ensemble United Berlin of works Luigi Nono, and an Eighties selection of Cage percussion pieces by Quatuor Hêlios. Best of all are Alfons and Aloys Kontarsky's 1962 album of Stravinsky's works for two pianos – chamber-music pieces of French, rather than Russian, character – and a recent quartet of Stockhausen's early works performed by Ensemble Recherche.
Download: Refrain; Kontra-Punkte; Sonata for Two Pianos; Cinq Pièces Faciles
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen